Hello lovely folks!
To some 2013 has already dawned and for others we are still awaiting the arrival of a new year! Of course I am brimming with excitement for a fresh start and had to indulge the kitsch in me and do a themed mani in anticipation of the arrival of 2013!
My last mani of 2012 was created by using Revlon Nail Care Calcium Gel Nail Hardener as a basecoat, x3 coats of Mr Price Bella Cosmetics Nail polish in dark pink and light pink (my description of colours, no official names provided on bottles) on every other nail, x2 coat Colours Nail Enamel in Creammoss for the nail art, x1 coat in Revlon White on White for nail art, x1 coat Revlon in Sparkle for nail art, x1 coat in Tru Colour Nail Enamel (Sparkly Silver colour – can’t see name of nail polish colour on the bottle) for nail art, silver stamped on star design for nail art, a star rhinestone for nail art and x1 coat in Revlon Nail Care ColorStay Gold Standard Top Coat as a top coat. To get this jazzed up mani celebrating the beginning of 2013, read on!
You will need:
- Base coat nail polish
- Two alternating base colour nail polishes (I chose dark pink and light pink)
- Two contrasting colours for the ‘2013’ nail art (I chose mint and white)
- Glittery nail polish x2 (one chunky glitter nail polish and the other a fine glitter nail polish, however using 2 nail polishes is optional, 1 will work perfectly as well!) for the razzle dazzle french tips
- Orangewood stick / dotting tool
- One nail art rhinestone (nail glue optional)
- Stamping kit
- Silver nail polish
- Top coat nail polish
1) Apply base coat nail polish to all nails, wait for it to dry completely
2) Apply alternating base colour nail polishes, wait for it to dry completely
3) Pour a small pool of mint nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper…then dip the sharp end of the orangewood stick/dotting tool into the pool of nail polish and carefully dot on the mint nail polish onto your nail in the design of ‘2013’. Start with the number 2 on the index finger, 0 in the middle finger, 1 on the ring finger and lastly 3 on the pinky finger. When dotting on the mint nail polish in these number designs make sure to leave sufficient space between the dots as you want to also dot on white dots in between the mint nail polish, so you have an alternating mint-white nail polish dotting design. Complete the number design on all nails in mint nail polish (remember leave enough space between the dots)
4) Pour a small pool of white nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper…then dip the sharp end of the toothpick tool into the pool of nail polish and carefully dot on the white nail polish onto your nails in between all the mint dots which are already in the design of ‘2013’. I found using a toothpick to dot on the white nail polish helped a lot in keeping the design neater and allowing the white dots to be dotted on small enough in between the mint dots
5) For the star design on the thumb nail, I selected a star design from my stamping set and stamped the design onto my thumb nails, I have described how to apply stampy designs in more detail here. Make sure when you are applying your chosen stampy design you leave adequate space at the tip of the nail to include the glittery french tip
6) For extra oomph I outlined the main star design with the same alternating dotting design that was used to dot on the ‘2013’ design on the nails, (see above no.3 - 4). I also added a nail art star rhinestone on the thumbnail, securing it to the nail with nail art glue.
6) Now start working on the glittery french tips, I first dabbed/patted on the Revlon Sparkle nail polish onto the tips and waited for that to dry completely. The Revlon Sparkle nail polish is a chunky glittery nail polish, once this was dry I then applied the Tru Colour Nail Enamel (Sparkly Silver colour – can’t see name of nail polish colour on the bottle) by painting it onto the tip of the nail, don’t try to do this exceptionally neatly as if it’s painted on a little messily it adds to the look of a glitter fade french tip! Complete on all nails
7) Wait for all nail art to dry, then apply top coat nail polish
8) Bring in the new year, 2013, with very appropriate sparkly nails!
Happy New year to one and all! :)
Have you done anything themed to bring in 2013 ?
As always, linking up to Mani Monday below, with the fabulous Heather and Heather! I will also be joining the ladies over at The Nail Files.
Join the fun side of life and link up to Mani Monday and The Nail Files below :)