Well Hi, how are you fine folks this Monday ?
I decided to tackle a mani I’ve been lusting after recently, the glitter gradient mani!
I made some Chicken & Dumplings for dinner this Monday, recipe coming soon! It was really warming and scrummy on this 'chilly' (you would prob laugh at our winter temps on the east coast of SA) winter evening!
To achieve this pale blushing glitter gradient mani, I used x1 coat of Sally Hansen in Instant Strength, x2 coats of H&M Nailpolish in Pink Skies, x3 coats of Tru Colour Nail Polish in Colours Midnight Swirl (bargain cheapie buy at Clicks, South African drug store) and x1 coat of Essence Gel Look Topcoat. We got the Pink Skies nail polish in Hamburg, Germany on a recent Euro trip this past Dec-Jan…I’m not sure if H&M is still stocking this nail polish colour though. We unfortunately have not been graced with H&M in South Africa as yet, I am patiently awaiting one! If the Fashion Gods are listening, we.need.one.asap!!!
You will need:
- Your pretty set of hands
- Base coat polish
- Your chosen base colour coat nail polish (I used a muted pale pink colour)
- Your chosen glitter colour nail polish(I used a sparkly silver colour)
- Topcoat nail polish
1) Paint base coat on nails and wait for it to dry completely
2) Paint one coat of pink nail polish wait for it to dry completely, then apply a second coat. I needed to apply a second coat of this nail polish as while it is a stunning colour, on a first coat application it is quite streaky, a second coat solved that and provided the much needed opacity
3) You are now ready to start applying the silver glitter nail polish in order to achieve the glitter gradient look. You will first apply a thin coat of silver glitter nail polish onto all nails…you MUST start painting this coat 3/4 of the way down your nail (this is slightly more than halfway on your nail). So you are in effect leaving the top 1/4 of your nail untouched, thus the pale pink nail polish peeps through. Wait for the first coat of the silver glitter nail polish to dry completely
4) Now you will apply a second coat of silver glitter nail polish to your nail, on top of the first coat…however you will have a DIFFERENT starting place as to where the first coat of silver glitter polish started. You are in effect building the layers to the gradient look of the silver glitter. Now, you will start painting your second coat of silver glitter nail polish halfway down your nail. This will leave a thin layer of silver glitter nail polish showing from 3/4 way down your nail (first coat) and now the silver glitter layer gets heavier halfway down the nail (second coat). Wait for the second coat of nail polish to dry completely
5) This is the third and final application of the silver glitter nail polish, you will start painting this layer on the last 1/4 of your nail…basically the area of your nail where you would normally paint a french tip…paint on a layer of the silver glitter nail polish here. You will now in effect have a built up a silver glitter gradient of three layers on your nails…and you will see the gradient from the least to the most amount of silver glitter nail polish deposited on your nail from top to bottom. Wait for this third coat of silver glitter nail polish to dry completely
6) Apply a topcoat of nail polish, wait for it to dry completely
7) Look down at your nails and totally feel like a sugar plum fairy princess, such sparkly pretty nails, this mani is totally darling!
8) This glittery pink mani makes me think of the music artist Pink, and a song of hers which wasn’t really a chart topper but amazing nonetheless! I am totally jamming to some Glitter in the Air by Pink on my iPod,…la la la… ‘Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air? Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don't care?’…la la la. Pink so needs to get back on the music scene!
Back when I was 19 and had pink streaks in my hair, don’t judge…what’s being young if not to have fun! (Disclaimer: My hair colour choice was not motivated by Pink in any way) :P
I love challenging myself all the time and am a HUGE adrenaline junkie, one of the many times I’ve looked fear in the face and said I just don’t care…fear, BRING IT…was when my sister Nicole (aka Nicky), my best friend Kimona (aka Kim) and I went skydiving !!! Hurling ourselves out a little plane oh at say 9500 feet above ground level, no biggie! :) Such a thrill I tell you, on Angels Way Farm, Eston, South Africa with Angel Skydive at the SkyDive Durban branch. This is an awesome company with a dynamic and knowledgeable team who make you feel at ease and prepare you with an abundant amount of information before the jump! They have great specials as well, so be sure to check them out here.
All suited up before our jump!
Are you a fan of Pink ? When did you last look fear in the face and said I just don’t care ?
As always, linking up to Mani Monday below, with the fabulous Heather and Heather! I will also be joining the ladies over at The Nail Files.
Join the fun side of life and link up to Mani Monday and The Nail Files below :)