Monday 30 July 2012

Mani Monday: Proudly South African Mani


DSC09185

Hello Hello fair ones :)

So I don’t know about you, but Olympic fever has set in in a big way in my household! I like to think of myself as a ‘couch olympian’ :P and try to catch as much of the Olympics as I can. I don’t know what it is about this time of year every 4 years that makes me mad for swimming, gymnastics, weightlifting, diving…you name it! I love it when sporting events bring out our more patriotic side and I am 100% behind our South African Olympians. They have inspired my proudly South African mani this Monday! Congrats to our first SA Gold medallist in the 100m breastroke, Cameron van der Burgh…showing them how it’s done.

Let me show you how this mani is done!

I used x1 coat of Sally Hansen Instant Strength as a base coat, x2 coats of Rimmel Black Out, x1 coat of Essence Colour & Go in Wanna be your Sunshine, x1 coat Colours Xtreme Nail Colour in Jungle Fever, x1 coat of Revlon in White on White, x1 coat of Bella Nails in blue (no colour description…bargain buy from SA clothing store Mr.Price), x1 coat of Rimmel in Heart on Fire and x1 coat of Essence Gel Look Topcoat.

You will need:
  • Base coat nail polish
  • Base colour coat, I chose black
  • Five coloured nail polishes, yellow, green, white, blue and red
  • Top coat nail polish
  • Orangewood stick / Dotting tool
Method:

1) Paint on base coat nail polish and wait for it to dry completely

2) Paint on two coats of base colour nail polish, wait for it to dry completely

DSC09134

3) Start building the colours of the SA flag onto your nail using the dotting technique, here’s a ‘lil reminder about what the SA flag looks like in the shape of beautiful SA as well :)

url

4) As I had painted the base colour of my nail black, I already had the black part of the flag done on my nail…I just had to dot onto my nail the remaining colours of the flag. I started dotting on the yellow stripe using an orangewood stick (or use a dotting tool). Pour a small pool of yellow nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper nearby and dip your dotting tool or orangewood stick into the polish and dot onto to the nail in the pattern of a ‘V’ resembling the yellow ‘V’ on the SA flag

DSC09142

5) Pour a small pool of green polish onto a scrap piece of paper nearby and dip your dotting tool or orangewood stick into the polish and dot onto to the nail in the pattern of a ‘Y’ resembling the green ‘Y’ on the SA flag

DSC09147

6) Pour a small pool of white nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper nearby and dip your dotting tool or orangewood stick into the polish and dot onto to the nail in the pattern of a ‘Y’ resembling the white ‘Y’ on the SA flag

7) Pour a small pool of blue nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper nearby and dip your dotting tool or orangewood stick into the polish and dot the blue nail polish onto the nail to fill in the space for the blue part of the SA flag

8) Pour a small pool of red nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper nearby and dip your dotting tool or orangewood stick into the polish and dot the red nail polish onto the nail to fill in the space for the red part of the SA flag

9) Wait for dots of coloured polish to dry completely before applying a top coat

10) Look down at your nails and totally feel your heart swell up with pride for this beautiful country of ours, South Africa. No place like Africa

11) Oh, and totally jam out to some Impi by Johnny Cleg, he is a famous South African artist for those of you who haven't been exposed to his awesomeness before! I’m totally trying to and failing miserably to sing along in Zulu…la la la, ‘Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza…Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?’…la la la

DSC09178

DSC09183

Have you ever done a patriotic mani before? What’s your favourtite Olympic sport ?

As always, linking up to Mani Monday below, with the fabulous Heather and Heather!  I will also be joining the ladies over at The Nail Files.

Join the fun side of life and link up to Mani Monday and The Nail Files below :)


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tara! I adore your mani this week and thanks for co-hosting a great event, am loving it! :)

      Delete
  2. This turned out awesome - I also used dots to make my country's manicure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fran! I love your patriotic mani this week as well especially the cute added detail. Snap!!! Great minds hey :)

      Delete
  3. I love this manicure you did a great job! I am your newest follower. I cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog! Have a happy Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, for leaving such a lovely comment and for the follow! Brought a smile to my face for sure! I have just visited your blog and love your space on the net and your content, I am following rigt back! Here's to the start of a friendly, warm chapter in the blogosphere :)Have a great day! xxx

      Delete