Hello my pretties! For this Mani Monday I had the urge to channel some old school Destiny’s Child and did a camouflage manicure highlighting the design with two accent nails and camouflage french tips! You could easily swop out the traditional camo colours for some fun, bright colours to give this look a twist!
I used Revlon Nail Care Calcium Gel Nail Hardener as a basecoat, Rimmel in Black Out x 3 coats as a base coat on the thumb, middle and pinky finger nails and x1 coat for nail art, Essence Colour & Go in Camouflage x 3 coats as base coat on the index and ring finger nails and x1 coat for nail art, Essence Colour & Go in Sundancer x1 coat for nail art, Colours Xtreme Nail Colour in Jungle Fever x1 coat for nail art, and Revlon Nail Care ColorStay Gold Standard Top Coat as a top coat.
You will need
- Base coat nail polish
- Two alternating base colour coat nail polishes (I chose black & brown)
- 2 other nail polishes to build the camouflage design (I chose mustard & green)
- Sticky tape or french tip guides
- Pair of scissors
- Top coat nail polish
1) Apply base coat nail polish to nails, wait for it to dry completely
2) Apply alternating base colour coats to every other nail, wait for it to dry completely
3) Start working on the camouflage design on the index and ring fingers, pour a small pool of black nail polish on a scrap piece of paper. Dip a toothpick into the black nail polish and carefully trace a small weird blob type shape on your nail, just any type of weird blob
4) Now dip the toothpick into the black nail polish and dot on and drag nail polish to fill in the blob design you just traced onto your nail. You will continue to trace a few more haphazard blobs onto your nail, you are essentially building the camouflage design. Your nail should start looking something like below, don’t trace on too many black blobs as you have to leave space for mustard blobs, green blobs and enough space for the brown camouflage colour to peek through here and there. Repeat step 3-4 on index / ring finger nails
5) Now pour a small pool of green nail polish and repeat step 3 – 4 on ring and index finger nails
6) Pour a small pool of mustard nail polish and repeat step 3 – 4 on ring / index finger nails. This is the last colour you will use for the camouflage design, you nail should resemble the photo below
7) While waiting for the nail art to dry on ring and index finger nails you can go ahead and start working on the nail art for thumb, middle and pinky finger nails, just be careful not to touch or smudge the nails that have already been worked on
8) Cut three pieces of sticky tape (or use french tip guides) and place the sticky tape on the thumb, middle and pinky finger nails. You are essentially repeating step 3 – 6 here but applying the design to only the french tip area of the nail. Don’t worry about the design going onto the sticky tape as when you pull the sticky tape off the nail, a clean camouflage design french tip will be left behind!
9) Repeat step 3 – 6 on thumb, middle and pinky finger nail, make sure that once you complete step 6, which is applying the last colour nail polish for the camouflage design remove the sticky tape immediately from the nail, I’ve always found that doing so has always left a cleaner line as opposed to leaving the sticky tape on the nail and waiting till the french tip nail polish has dried completely and then only removing the sticky tape
10) Wait for all nail art to dry, then apply top coat nail polish
11) Be totally stoked because who knew camouflage could look this good especially on your nails :)
I know you just want to break out into song and sing-a-long to Survivor by Destiny’s Child, ‘I'm a survivor (What?), I'm not goin' give up (What?), I'm not goin' stop (What?), I'm goin' work harder (What?)…la…la…la…’…I just couldn’t help myself…this song and this mani go together like PB&J!
Totally random and off the beaten path, but, what’s your favourite sandwich and doesn’t anything camouflage make you want to go paintballing, or is that just me ?
As always, linking up to Mani Monday below, with the fabulous Heather and Heather! I will also be joining the ladies over at The Nail Files.
Join the fun side of life and link up to Mani Monday and The Nail Files below :)